Should Baseball Be A Middle School Sport?

Hayden Basler, Reporter

Should baseball be offered at Emporia Middle School?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Think about all of the sports we have here at EMS. We have volleyball, soccer, cross country, basketball, football, track, wrestling and this year we even added a bowling team! But out of all the sports we have, we are missing one of the most popular sports! Where is baseball? Should baseball be a middle school sport? I  think that baseball should be a middle school sport because first of all, baseball is a  popular sport. Second, I know several students would be willing to play it if we had it here as a choice for a sport. I know I would volunteer to play it. Finally, I think that baseball can improve your health and you can do a little bit of everything out on the field. 

Now you might wonder; just how popular is baseball? I had some students fill out a form and twelve out of sixteen responders answered that baseball should be a middle school sport. According to www.ranker.com, baseball is the third most popular sport in the USA! To me that is pretty popular, but how popular is baseball in the entire world? Well, according to www.list25.com, baseball is the tenth most popular sport in the whole world. It  may seem unpopular but the tenth largest sport in the world is actually pretty large. American football is  a  popular sport right? Well, American football is the 12th most popular sport in the world which means that baseball is more commonly played and more popular than American football.

How many people would be willing to play baseball if we had it? In the form, I asked if those students would play baseball if we had it and eighth of sixteen responders answered that they would play it. According to www.statisa.com, 13.96 million people played baseball or softball in spring of 2017. Now not only is that in 2017, but it’s  just in the USA alone. Out of the whole world, 75 of 195 countries in the world play baseball. Personally, I think that is a pretty good number because that is 38.461% of the world.

Baseball is the perfect sport for a person who wants to do a little bit of everything. In baseball there are tons of positions including: , batter, pitcher, baseman, a catcher, an outfielder and other positions. Also, there is no tackling or violence in baseball. That makes baseball that perfect sport for that person who does not want a sport with tackling or violence involved.

Did you know that baseball can improve your health in multiple ways? According to www.healthfitnessrevolution.com, baseball can improve your arm and leg strength, hand-eye coordination, stress relief and multiple other ways of improving your mental and physical health. According to healthyliving.azcenteral.com, “playing baseball is a good way to get both vigorous and moderate exercise” (healthyliving.azcenteral.com). Baseball provides huge strength and cardiovascular benefits to your body.

Maybe now you might consider joining a local baseball team. However, since the middle school does not have a baseball team, maybe you could consider talking to the administrators or the principal. I would love to hear your thoughts if baseball should be a middle school sport so I made a poll (to the right)  for you to decide for yourself; should baseball be in middle school sports can put your opinion about baseball being a middle school sport.