EMS Sound

Dogs vs Cats

A dog menacingly looking at a cat

A dog menacingly looking at a cat

Aiden Webster, Contributor

Depending on who you are, and what certain aspects of an animal you like, both cats and dogs can be good pets. To some people dogs are considered better than cats while other think cats to be better. In the next few paragraphs I will be explaining why both cats and dogs can be beneficial pets to have.

Dogs are really big, fluffy, and helpful but they are not self-sufficient like cats unless you train them. Dogs can also cost more to feed since they are most of the time bigger than cats. “Dogs are bigger than cats, on average, and are likely to run up higher food bills as a result.” (Chelsea Harvey, Businessinsider.com).

Though cats can be really cuddly and friendly, they also have natural instincts to “play” via biting and/or hitting. Dogs being more civil (unless trained for guarding), can learn tricks such as: rolling over, high fiving, playing fetch and a whole lot of other things that will make the owner happy. Cats can learn tricks, but they are really hard to teach because of there ignorant behavior unless they get an award for said trick every time they do it.

Dogs can be used for multiple things, like fire rescue, finding drugs or bombs, and even tracking down suspects- but cats also can be useful. Cats are known for being playful and it is scientifically proven that petting them will reduce stress, anger and anxiety. Dogs are also really good friends. “Dogs even have the hormone oxytocin, which, in humans, is involved with feeling love and affection for others” (moderndogmagazine.com).

Overall, dogs and cats both can be really good pets. They both have pros and cons, but it’s not my job to choose for you. I made this article because of the ongoing controversy between the two animals. I decided that I needed to make this so everyone could be informed that both sides are good no matter what you choose.