EMS Sound

The Evolution of Tanks

M1A2+Tank
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Evolution of Tanks

M1A2 Tank

M1A2 Tank

M1A2 Tank

M1A2 Tank

Aubrey Williams, Reporter

Do you know where the name for tanks come from? Well, tanks were originally referred to as tanks because the English creators didn’t want people to know what they were working on, so they called them tanks. Tanks were such a revolutionary invention it’s no wonder they didn’t want anyone to steal the idea for them. Below I have listed three of the most revolutionary tanks in history.

The Little Wellie was the first ever tank prototype and the first tank to ever be thought of. It was invented actually a prototype for the Mark 1 tank. It was constructed at the behest Landships Committee. It is also the oldest surviving individual tank. All in all, this tank prototype set the path for the modern tanks we have today, and that’s why The Little Wellie is on this list.

The Panzer 3 was a medium sized tank designed in the 1930’s, to hold a bulk of German armed forces, and was used for the majority of the second world war. Until the Panzer 4 and the Ausf F2 in March 1942, the Panzer 3 was the only tank equipped with a gun up until that point. This was a tank to be somewhat of a prototype for the 4th and 5th versions of the Panzer tank.

The M1A2 was approved for production in 1990, and now it is the main tank used by the Army as of current. My dad who is a tank driver for the Army says that the tank handles well and it mainly depends on the terrain he is driving on. The controls on the tank according to my dad are actually very easy to control. The most surprising thing to him would probably be the force that it has. The new addition of the IVIS or the Inter-Vehicle information system was a big renovation from the M1A1 which had no communication between individual tanks.

All in all, tanks have evolved so much over a decently short period of time. I think that tanks, in general, are one of the greatest assets to the military. Tanks can help soldiers communicate, and also can take down large groups of enemies. Tanks have helped the military so much in the wars and I feel that is incredibly important. So, don’t overlook the tank.