EMS Sound

The National Cherry Blossom Festival

More stories from Lenia Crouch

Source%3A+Flickr
Source: Flickr

Source: Flickr

Source: Flickr

Imagine this: pink flowers falling from the sky, lightly decorating the area turning it into something magical. Though this may seem unrealistic, it is actually happening in Washington, D.C. The National Cherry Blossom Festival is in full swing. I will be telling you about this magnificent event, lasting from March 20, through April 15 this year.

This festival commemorates the of 3,000 cherry trees given to the United States by Mayor Yukio Ozaki of Tokyo. The trees were given to us in 1912, and many of them are still there today. The celebration is for the close friendship between the United States and Japan, a friendship that has lasted for years. Over the years the countries have given each other gifts back and forth, and the festival started in 1927. Today the festival lasts four weeks and welcomes around 1.5 million people to come see the pastel flowers.

Now, I am going to tell you about where to eat, where to stay, and how to get there. Some airlines you can consider using are the Washington Dulles International Airport, and the American Airlines. There are many more, but these are just a few. Finally, you are going to need somewhere to stay, so here are some nearby hotels. Courtyard by Marriott Capitol Hill, and Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Washington D.C. Again, this is just a few and there are many more, you can look at more here, LINK. I looked into some good restaurants, and one of them is Founding Fathers, which serves comfort food and breakfast. Second and lastly we have Old Ebbitt Grill, which an iconic tavern serving American food in Victorian style digs. For more options, check this out, LINK.

Finally, I am going to tell you about the many festivities of the National Cherry Blossom Festival! First, is the Pink Tie Party. This includes a silent auction, delicious professional chef cooked foods, and spring-themed eats. Secondly, there is the Tidal Basin. Here, you will see the beautiful trees, and there are live performances. To enhance your visit, there are national park rangers there for the majority of the day to answer your questions. This is the main and most popular event, so be prepared to see a crowd! Lastly, there is the Petalpalooza! This is eight straight hours of free tunes, all-age activities, and interactive art installations, games, and at the end, there is a firework show! This is definitely good for all ages, from children to elderly! For more reading and events go here, LINK.

The National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C is a annual occurrence. This is a good event for many ages. There are many different activities, and I would definitely recommend going there! For more reading, and other information I would highly advise that you visit this website, LINK. Thanks for reading, maybe you can plan a trip here for the end of the festivities and next years events!