EMS Sound

Are Gaming Parts Really Faster?

Inside of a full

Inside of a full "gaming" computer

Inside of a full "gaming" computer

Aaron Thomsen, Jr. Editor

A lot of brands are slapping “gaming” on most products  to make them sell more. It ranges from GPUs, Monitors, Looking Glasses, and even chairs! When brands like MSI, ROG, and Zotac say that their gaming parts will, “introduce you to a new era of performance”, do they really mean it? Or, are they just trying to get you to buy it? I’ve wondered this for a long time and just haven’t had the time to put research into it. If you are wondering this too, maybe I will be able to clear up some questions for you.

The first thing that we will look at, are the graphics cards or more specifically, the GTX 1080. The original make of the 1080, Geforce, sell their cards for a lot lower price than others. The cheapest 1080 that I was able to find on Newegg was over $650 while Geforce themselves sell them for about $600. We will be comparing the normal 1080 to MSI’s 1080 with 8gb of storage. When I compared the two, the gaming GPU only had a 3% advantage in frames on PUBG. But why would you pay almost $100 extra for 3 frames? I don’t see a good reason why. Non-gaming wins this.

The next thing that we will be talking about are monitors. Most gaming monitors are based on 144hz and 1ms response time. Productivity monitors usually have better resolution because we just don’t have the technology to have 144hz on a 4k monitor. The best that we have for 144hz is 2k. This is still pretty good, but it isn’t the best. I think that whatever you are using the monitor for, you should pick the one that suits you.

The last thing that we will be reviewing is the style of the products. Most of the gaming products will have RGB on them, like most “gaming” products. The Asus ROG monitors all have RGB on them, a GTX 1080 FTW has RGB all over it, and it has even gone to chairs! On the other hand, most of the normal products just simply don’t put RGB on their products. Some normal products will put some RGB on their products, for example, the Asus Prime Z370A motherboard has RGB on the sides. This also would just have to be what you are into. If you don’t like the flashy colors on your computer then you might want the normal, but if you do, then get gaming products.

In my opinion, gaming parts are better. The reason for this is that gaming is mostly what my computer is used for.  They have better benchmarks, more style, and they come in a lot of different varieties. Also, they cost about the same amount or even sometimes cheaper.  It really just depends on what you are going to use your computer for.