EMS Sound

My South Padre Experience

South Padre Island in Texas

South Padre Island in Texas

South Padre Island in Texas

Kyler Marcotte, Junior Reporter

It was like any other day when I was surprised by my parents that we were going to go to South Padre over labor day. But little did I know that it would be a very boring journey.  As soon as I woke up I was immediately pulled into the car. I thought I had all that I needed to be entertained for the trip, but I was so wrong. I had never been more bored in my life, it took three and a half days to get there but you gotta know that we have a very small car and I am a very big person. So the entire car ride was just me trying to sleep through it.

It was about midnight when we arrived. Luckily, my great grandma found us a place to stay. It was this really nice hotel that had a pool, a huge TV, and a stove for some reason. Anyway, the trip was pretty awesome. I woke up super early cause I knew that we were going to have to do a lot of things in the three days that we could stay. When everyone was up the first thing that we needed to do was head to the island right away. There was so much to see there like a Dairy Queen bar and grill, I didn’t even know that existed. But my favorite part of the entire trip was when we went to the beach. It was my first time even going to a beach or even the ocean, but what surprised me was that the sand was red! Turns out that it can be caused by a coral reef nearby, but man was it great.

After all of that, we decided that we would go to this bird exhibit on the border of Texas. It was great. We saw a lot of really cool birds and it was also my first time on a tram which was pretty fun. After the tram ride we decided to use our feet a bit so we walked the rest of the exhibit. But I would say the coolest part of it was that when we went on these huge towers with bridges connecting them. But that’s not the coolest part. It was when we were on one of the towers and my phone said “welcome to Mexico”. So apparently I had just crossed the border without a passport! Also, now I can say I’ve been to Mexico before.

I think that my trip to South Padre was really eventful and I enjoyed every moment that I was there. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to go. There is so much to see there and a lot of fun things to do.