EMS Sound

The Moore Tornado

The Moore Tornado

The Moore Tornado

Jake Simons, Senior Reporter

On May 20th, 2013 a tornado struck Moore, Oklahoma.  The twister cost more than 2 billion dollars in disaster funds.  Many people died but even more were left homeless. To add to the tragedy, this was the fourth time in 20 years the city of Moore had been hit by a tornado.

When Moore was struck, the timing could not have been worse.  On a Monday in the afternoon the twister plowed through the city.  Many schools were still in session during this time including Plaza Towers Elementary School.  Seven kids tragically died at this school directly from this tornado. Many people want a safer environment for kids at schools, basically just a safer place to go too, not just under a desk or a table.  Also, most homes in Oklahoma don’t have basements.

If the tornado would’ve been 20 miles to the east then it would have been more likely that no one would have been hurt or at the most one person might have been injured.  The Oklahoma City Metropolitan area is very densely populated, which Moore is a part of. This city has been very unlucky for so long getting pounded by storms. I guess that’s what happens when you are in the middle of tornado alley.

The worst part about this tornado is that it was an F5, meaning it was the highest category (wind speeds above 200 mph).  F5 tornadoes often leave something called a scar, so when you look down at the ground below you can see where the tornado was, often a large path of dirt or dead grass.  When a tornado of this power hits something, it completely destroys it, ripping it apart, sometimes using wooden planks as bullets shooting them miles away. Even if you’re in a basement, getting out would be the struggle with the piles of debris.

Hopefully, Moore can start getting lucky and this streak will stop.  The devastation these storms cost the city or even the country is on a different magnitude.  Many people were lost in this storm and hopefully we can always appreciate our loved ones because you never know if there will be a tomorrow.