This week I interview one of my favorite teachers,
Mr. Pekins! He Teaches 3 band classes Symphinic Band
for the best of the best, Concert Band for fun, and
Beginning Band for new students. I asked him these 4
1. What is band all about? Like what are the best and
2. Who was your inspiration?
3. How long have you taught band for?
4. When did you figure out that you were going to be a
Here were his replies.
1. Band was always the class I felt I could truly relax
and be myself, and I want to give students an
opportunity to discover themselves through music and
make some amazing friends along the way.
Band is truly like being in a family that challenges
us as much as it awards us for our work.
The best part: Watching students work, drawing
connections, getting better at their instrument, all
while we’re having a blast!
Worst part: Watching students give up too easily
without truly applying themselves, despite
encouragement from me and their peers.
Band is a class that attracts so many various types of
people, gathering in the name of our love and passion
of music. It’s a beautiful thing!
2. My inspiration came from most of my previous music
teachers throughout my life. Being a student Mrs.
Helen Williams (6th grade) and Mr. Haselhuhn (9-12)
convinced me that music was a major component of my
3. This 2020-21 school year is my 3rd year teaching.
4. I decided to pursue teaching music as my career
upon my return from technical training (medical
laboratory science) in the Air Force. I had a hard time
deciding what to do in college, but I know I needed to
be involved in music for my full-time job.
Mr. Perkins is awesome and band is super fun, if
you seem interested please email him at