My Life In Fifth Grade At The Jump-Rope Contest

The one that has the the really short hair.

Harmony Williams, JR Reporter

My day started like any other, I went to school and there was a poster. It said, “Jump-rope Contest TODAY!”. I ran to P.E. and I qualified for the jump-rope contest. After school I went to the jump-rope contest at the Emporia Middle School (EMS). So, I got my jump-rope and practiced my rhythm to win the contest.

I was jumping for Logan Avenue Elementary School. I wasn’t the only one there though. There were over two hundred students there to trying to win the jump-rope contest. I didn’t let that get to me. When they blew the whistle, I started my rhythm, tap, thud, thud, tap, thud, thud. Over and over. An hour later I was still going. Ten minutes later I counted five students.

I said to myself, “I can do this. I will win that medal.” My step-sister, step-brother, and brother cheered me on. They cheered, “Don’t give up you can do this!”. They were hopping around and couldn’t stay still. Five minutes later, the last of my competition messed up.

I was the last one! I kept jumping for 6 more minutes. Then, finally, I stopt. I got my medal, left Emporia Middle School, and got some ice cream. The next day everyone in Logan Avenue came outside to surprise me. They all made me so happy, I cried.

The whole school was finally looking up to me. I loved that year, I still remember like it was yesterday. A year later a few students broke my record and, I was mad at first then I realized, they looked up to me when I was in 5th grade, then, I was proud, because they looked up to me and broke my record. It’s never too late to change and look up to someone. I looked up to my kindergarten teacher, and my youth friend, Leisa Wecker.

Whenever I was mad, Mrs. Wecker let me teach her class. She is, and always will be my idol, and I’m hers. Looking up to someone is not bad at all. If you start now, you will never stop looking up to who is important to you. There is so much you can achieve when you believe in your idol. That’s when I learned, never give up.