Desktop v.s. Laptops

Dell Desktop vs Dell Laptop

Aaron Thomsen, Contributor

I’ve always loved to play video games and build computers. But I have always wondered if a laptop or a desktop was better. I will be looking at three main aspects of computers, performance, travel ability and how easily you can upgrade the computer parts.

Portability, one problem that everyone has had a problem with on desktops. I have taken my desktop to my friend’s house on multiple occasions, but I would always have to put my desktop, monitor, keyboard, mouse and all of those bulky cords into my football bag. It was very heavy and almost broke my bag! When I had to bring my laptop to my friend’s house to watch Youtube videos for fun it was not a hassle at all. I could carry it in my arms, it was not heavy at all, and the charger was very easy to store in my pocket. Obviously, the laptop wins this round of portability.

Another thing that people struggle with is how easy or hard it is to put better parts into your computer. Putting parts into any type of computer can be hard because of cable management. If you want your computer to nice and neat you have to not show any cable or a small amount. It is very hard to have perfect cable management on a desktop but very easy to install parts. On a laptop is it very easy to have perfect cable management because all of the cables are already hidden in the computer’s body when you buy it. But on a laptop you can barely find any part better than what you have because really nothing can be put into a small laptop and have as much power as your big bulky desktop. You might be able to find someone who sells parts that are small enough and have as much power as your desktop parts but that is very rare and ever if you do they will cost about double what you could buy it for on a desktop. Regardless, you could upgrade your laptop if you have a very high budget and enough time to find a website or person that sells parts small enough. Overall, the desktop wins this round of how easy it is to upgrade.

Performance, something everyone looks for in a computer. These days you can find some great products that run almost any program/game. Going back to the last paragraph it is very hard to find any good parts that you can put into a laptop. But, you can find great products to put into your desktop. A desktop is meant for gaming so you will usually find desktop at stores or online that can run a lot better than laptops. You can upgrade your laptop to be as good as a stock desktop but you have a good chance of not finding anything that is as good as something you can put into your desktop. A desktop can run games better and upload and download videos, movies and games.

In conclusion, the desktop wins. If you’re looking for a system that can run games better and you can upgrade really easy then a desktop is meant for you. But, if you’re more worried about portability then a laptop is perfect for you. I would recommend a laptop to students that need it or someone who needs it for your job.