EMS Sound

Around Emporia with Emma: Gifted Program

More stories from Emma Weast

Elizabeth Miller in the Makerspace next to her project!

March 8th — In the library, maker space, and stage, the gifted program held several presentations about various topics. The topics ranged from murder mysteries to climate change. A fellow student and I got to sit in on a presentation held by Elizabeth Miller, an eighth grader in the gifted program.

The program was held in three locations with handmade presentations and show boards. The gifted program had been working on their project since the start of second trimester (It had recently turned to third trimester). Laura Albertson, the head of the gifted program, had planned an entire day of presentations where anyone could go in and watch the students present what they’ve put their time and effort in.

Elizabeth Miller held her presentation over climate change. Her station was located in the makerspace, accompanied by Carol Herrera’s murder mystery in the library. My fellow classmate and I watched the twenty five minute presentation with interest. Elizabeth did an excellent job presenting her information. You could tell by her presentations that they were well thought out, with solid information.

First, Elizabeth had a presentation accompanied by a handmade standing board with information and visuals about climate change and all of it’s positive and negative effects. Elizabeth included facts about climate change and how it  affects the ecosystem, humans, and animals. Her presentation was neatly ordered and she made sure to get all of her facts straight. Second, she took a couple of minutes to explain her handmade board. It had more information with the climate change process. Lastly, Elizabeth had made her own Jeopardy game on google slides. These slides were designed beautifully. She then assigned groups to the people who were watching and they played a game. The Jeopardy game was a review for her past two lessons. The three teams had a fair game and time was cut short, the game ending on a good note. I thought that the idea of playing a game after the presentations was a good idea. It’s good for the onlookers to review; move around a little and learn something new. If I could rate Elizabeth Miller’s presentation from one to ten, one being the worst, I would give it a ten.

Lastly, I would like to thank Elizabeth for allowing my friend and I to sit in on her presentation and take a picture of Elizabeth by her presentation. Sadly, the gifted day dedicated to their hard work has passed, but the future is yet to come.