EMS Sound

All About History: History of Arbor Day

More stories from Brooklynn Ruiz

Help+you+environment+by+planting+a+tree%21+
Help you environment by planting a tree!

Did you know that on Arbor day there were approximately 1 million trees planted? Arbor day is for individuals and/or groups that are encouraged to plant trees all over the country. I bet you don’t know a lot about Arbor day, do you?

Arbor day originated in Nebraska City, Nebraska. The first arbor day ever in the world was in 1805. A guy named  Juan Abern Samtres had the idea to start planting trees in the village of Villanueva de la Sierra and then went to Europe to try and persuade people to plant trees in their area.. This started a chain of planting trees worldwide. According to the Chronicles, “convinced of the importance of trees for health, hygiene, decoration, nature, environment and customs, decides to plant trees and give a festive air” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbor_Day). A large group of teachers and neighbors planted the first tree in Valley of the Ejido. Juan Abern Samtres  also made a statement in defence which made the towns and cities that he was around spread love and respect to nature.

You should still be wondering why Arbor day is even a holiday, so I’m going to tell you why. There is not a very  good meaning, but it is basically is for planting trees, and to show love and respect to nature. Around 1854 this couple moved to Nebraska, J. Sterling and Caroline Morton came in from Detroit and they started bringing in plants into their new home. J. Sterling was a journalist and he started writing about the value of trees and how life in the environment encouraged people to become great stewards of the lands. “The trees held the soil together, preventing dust storms and helping them bring irrigation to their farms, and also served to shade crops from the sun and protect them from the wind” (https://study.com/academy/lesson/arbor-day-history-meaning-importance.html). This slowly became an impact so people started growing trees.

Arbor means tree in Latin. Planting trees is not the only way to celebrate Arbor Day. Some people make donations to help save the rainforest. Some people help to educate others on the importance of trees. Participating in a recycling program is also another way to celebrate trees and the important role they play in our lives. One of the reasons that trees are so important is that they turn carbon dioxide into oxygen. They also provide shade, and grow fruit and nuts. The National Arbor Day Foundation held a vote for America’s favorite tree in 2004. The mighty oak won by a landslide, earning 101,000 votes. America’s National Tree is now the oak. (http://www.softschools.com/facts/holidays/arbor_day_facts/142/).

Hopefully, I helped you understand that trees are very important to the society and especially to humans and animals.. It is important to respect nature so it doesn’t have to ruin others. Will you plant a tree.