EMS Sound

Military Games: Educational or Detrimental?

Back to Article
Back to Article

A screenshot from Arma 3's Steam page.

A screenshot from Arma 3's Steam page.

A screenshot from Arma 3's Steam page.

A screenshot from Arma 3's Steam page.

Jacob Leyva, Contributor

Many people wonder if military video games can cause health issues, violence, or if they have any educational value. In this article, I am going to answer all of these questions, as well as tell you which game is best for you.

Video Games and Violence

A lot of people, especially parents, have the misconception that violent video games cause violent behavior. This is not true whatsoever. According to CNN, “Whitney DeCamp, an associate professor of sociology at Western Michigan University, says the evidence points to either no relationship between playing video games and violent behavior or an ‘insignificant’ link between the two.”. as well as stating that “almost all young males play violent video games, and yet the majority are not committing crimes.” Many experts also agree that there is no evidence that links video games to real-life violence.

Can You Learn From Video Games?

Some video games like Arma 3 or Squad can actually help people learn more about how real military operations can work. For example, in Arma 3, if you are trying to raid an enemy base, you have to be cautious, slow and methodical instead of just making a mad dash to the objective like in games like Call of Duty or Battlefield. Because in Arma 3 and Squad, much like real life, there is no regenerating health and if you get taken down, you stay down until you give up and respawn or you get healed by a medic. These video games also can teach how real weapons work. For example, in Call of Duty, if you aim at something, the bullet will hit your target instantly. However, this is not the case in Battlefield, where much like in reality, if your target is at a distance, the bullet will take some time to reach its target, as well getting pulled down by gravity.

Which Games Are Worth It?

So, which military games are worth playing and which ones aren’t? Well, it really depends on what you’re into in a video game. If you want a more realistic and serious simulation of war, enjoy sandbox games and don’t mind taking it slow, Arma 3 is the game for you. If you want more fighting and smooth gameplay but want to keep a realistic experience, then Squad is a better choice. If you want a bigger, fast-paced battle and don’t care too much about realism, then Battlefield is a great game to play. If you prefer smaller battles and fast-paced action or enjoy story games and a campaign to experience, then Call of Duty is your best bet.

In conclusion, military video games aren’t as bad and unhealthy as many people may think they are, and can actually be an educational experience and help people learn about what war is really like.