EMS Sound

Filed under Around EMS

Duet Festival 2017

This is a piano, the instrument I play. Source: http://unisci24.com

On stage, I began to play my song, my fingers gliding over the keys as music filled the auditorium. When I was finished, we all knew we had practically made magic. I have played the piano since I was 5 years old. I fell in love with the black and white keys in the very beginning. I participate in a Duet Festival every year.

This was the second time I had attended this event so I knew how things typically ran. I woke up at 7:30 am. I instantly remembered that today was the Duet Festival I had been practicing for. I ate breakfast, got dressed, and grabbed my music as I walked out the door. The event was being held at Beach Music Hall on Emporia State University’s campus. My brother played before me and I sat with my mom, listening to him play. How the event worked was, you were assigned to a piano and partner playing the other part of the duet. There were 5 pianos on the stage and a lot of teachers that helped conduct the pianists.

I waited with my mom for about an hour. Finally, it was my turn to play! I walked up to the stage, a little jittery and nervous. I quickly calmed down when I saw I was assigned to a partner I already knew. Right up front, we could tell that we were all playing at different speeds and dynamics. We started again, this time we had distinguished a speed. It went a lot smoother this time, and it sounded superb. We played a few more times, then left for a 10 minute break. I went to see my mom, grabbed my music, and headed back to the stage. This time I was allowed to choose my piano, since less people signed up. I chose the piano in front of me and started to practice since there was still a few minutes until we started. There weren’t enough people for everyone to have a partner, so I was assigned to play with my teacher. This song went similar the last one, except we didn’t play the song as many times. In a timely manner, the song was finished and it was time for me to go home. The instructors gave each pianist a piece of candy. I got a Twix and ate it on my way home. I was overjoyed with how the festival went, and looked forward to the future years. I snatched up my belongings and headed home with my mom. We talked on and on about the entire experience. When I got home, I put away my music and ate lunch.

I love attending this event, and plan on participating again next year. If you play piano, I would suggest participating because it is a lot of fun! You get to meet other pianists in the community, and have fun while doing it! I really enjoyed my experience and hope you might too!

Also, if you would like to learn piano there are many wonderful teachers here in Emporia, but I would first talk to Flint Hills Music. You can call them at 620-342-4553 or visit their website, http://www.flinthillsmusic.com/.