EMS Sound

Throw a Beat Into our Community: Flint Hills Music Store

Flint Hills music store logo (Constantcontact.com).

Sydney Douglas, Senior Reporter

When you get a new instrument or something breaks on your instrument, where should you go to fix it, or learn how to play.  My suggestion is to go check out the Flint Hills music store in Emporia, KS, located at 715 Commercial St.  In this review you will learn about what type of things you can buy, the lessons, and the repairs.

At the Flint Hills music store you can find things from an electric bass to clarinet reeds.  You can a variety of an instruments that you would like to play. If it’s something that needs to be tuned, the workers will do that too.  The music store has the Essential Elements music books that will help you a ton when learning how to play an instrument. Anything that is needed for marching band (except uniforms) can be found.  If there’s something that you need and can’t be found there’s more equipment behind the counters that the workers can get.  If the special item can’t be found the employees order and it will ship to the Flint Hills music store to have you come and pick the item up.  If you don’t want to buy the instrument, the store will allow you to rent it.  It depends on the instrument, but you have to place a payment every month.  When renting or purchasing the instrument comes in a protective case, a cleaning tool, but it sort of depends on the instrument and brand.  If you’re purchasing an instrument you want to know that your money will be spent well and the instrument will last a long time. I would say the items sold at Flint Hills music is a five out of five because everything I bought from the store still works.    

Lessons are also taught at the Flint Hills music store.  When coming in for a lesson there’s a clipboard with a sign and out sheet that you’ll just put your name, teachers name, the time of the lesson, and what time the lesson is over.  The lessons are located in the store up the stairs.  There’s multiple rooms with everything you need to be successful.  I had two teachers and both of them were very friendly and knew their topic well.  The store recommends 30 minutes if you’re young and just starting but it’s your opinion.  There were a couple of times where my teachers were late or forgot to come.  The teachers are usually pretty flexible with their schedules and can get you in if something comes up.  I would give the lessons a four out of five stars because there are times where they forget or show up late, but it mainly depends on the teacher.

The repair of an instrument is necessary and after the repair, the quality is like brand new.  Once my cousin dented her instrument by dropping it.  They took it to the Flint Hills music store and it came back cleaned and dent free.  My guitar string broke when I was tuning it, and they offered to restring it all and to clean it only for $20.  It took a little longer than what they said, but it still came back ready to go, it also was tuned.  Overall, I would rate the quality of the repairs a four and a half stars out of five, just because it takes a bit longer than what the employees say.     

The Flint Hills music store is a very good choice for learning, fixing or buying an instrument.  Flint Hills music store is easy to access and in a prime location.  Overall, the Flint Hills music store earned four and a half stars out of five.