Throw a Beat Into Our Community: Musical Spring Break

Sydney Douglas, Junior Editor

Did you know that “The five top destinations for US spring breakers are 1) Panama City Beach, Florida, 2) Cancun, Mexico; 3) Daytona Beach, Florida; 4) South Padre Island, Texas; and Colorado’s ski resorts?” according to Fact Retriever.  What if you are trying to save money, and you can’t go on a fancy vacation? In this story, I have a list of five places to visit relating to music and art during Spring break in Emporia KS. Five being my top choice and one being my least preferred.

1. Emporia Arts Center Art Classes- Intro to Pastels

This class starts on March 14th and ends on March 21st.  The classes start before spring break, but for most of the time the classes take place during spring break.  In this class they will teach you the basics of using chalk pastels. The fee to take Intro to Pastels is $40.  To be in this class the age requirement is 14 and up.  The Emporia Arts Center is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 AM to 6 PM, except for Saturday which is 10 AM to 3 PM.

1.  Emporia Arts Center Classes-  Intermediate Watercolors

(Pinterest)

This art class starts on March 21st, and ends April 4th.  To be in this class, the age requirement is 14 and up. This class will be more advanced than an intro class, so it will be going beyond just learning the basics.  I’m assuming the class will teach students more about techniques. The fee to take intermediate watercolors is $40.  The Emporia Arts Center is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 AM to 6 PM, except for Saturday which is 10 AM to 3 PM.

1.  Emporia KS, Saint Patrick’s Day Parade

The parade starts at 1:00 P.M. on March 17th 2018.  The Saint Patrick’s day parade is located in Commercial St.  There are many floats and cars supporting businesses. This activity isn’t really related to music and art except that the signs and the floats are art, and I’m sure some floats will play music.   

1.   Eppink & Gilson Art Gallery

Eppink & Gilson Art Gallery is located in the Emporia State University on the first floor of the John King Hall.  The art gallery is free to get into, open Monday-Friday 10:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. The art in the gallery is based on historic art.  In the gallery there are paintings of sites and people and sculptures.

1.  Granada Theater- Curious George: Golden Meatball

The play is on March 24th at the Granada Theater at 1:00 P.M.  Tickets range from $5- $25. It’s based on the PBS show Curious George.  I have never been to this specific show, but Granada Theaters does a very good job at booking shows.   

I hope reading this makes you decide what to do at, “your stay at home vacation”!  If you’re not into art or music I would check out the Saint Patrick day parade or the play.  For later shows and art classes check out these websites Granada Theater and Emporia Arts Center.