Cross Country: The Sport for Champions

Caden Wilson of EHS

Kaylee Lane, Contributor

On October 13, 2018, cross country members of the Emporia High School had their last cross country meet. They celebrated the end of the season in Emporia, Kansas with all of their family and teammates. First I asked Caden Wilson three questions about the event, then I asked Darby Wilson the same three questions. Here are their responses.

Here is Caden Wilson’s point of view as a competitor in cross country.

Q: What do you do at a cross country meet?

A: I warm up with my team 30 minutes before my race. Then I run a 5k and do a cool down with my team.

Q: Do you enjoy cross country meets?

A: Pfff always. I especially enjoy trying to bet my last PR [personal record].

Q: Do you usually have to prepare for a cross country meet?

A: Yes, I have a duffel bag the school provided me for cross country. I also prep by team pasta dinners before races, eating carbs, protein, and lots of water to stay hydrated. My team and I get together outside of school for socials. Like last weekend we went to a teammates house and went on a hayrack ride, roasted hot dogs, and made s’mores. We have a lot of fun as a team!

Next, I interviewed Darby Wilson about her experience as a spectator.

A: I follow Caden to different points where I can see him and his team to cheer them on after they start, then I wait for them at the finish line.

Q: Do you enjoy cross country meets?

A: Yes, I love cross country meets. I love to go cheer for all of the runners especially Caden Wilson. It is both a team and individual sport and I love watching them achieve their goals and the team work together as a family.

A: I try to get Caden to eat right and stay hydrated a week before a cross country meet because it is important for them to stay hydrated the week before and not just the day of. I personally try to go to all of the meets and have a charged phone for a lot of pictures.

In conclusion, cross country is an individual and team sport. It requires endurance and stamina. You get to create memories with your team as well. If you enjoy running you should look into cross country.