EMS Sound

Tybee Island

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tybee Island

Tybee Island Pier

Tybee Island Pier

Tybee Island Pier

Tybee Island Pier

Nolan Heitman, Jr. Reporter

Introduction

Just towards the end of my fifth-grade year my family and I were planning a huge one week vacation. We decided that we wanted somewhere not over-crowded but had the bare accommodations. Our final decision was a small town located on the coast of Georgia with a population of around 3,000. This town is called Tybee Island. The town is a heavy fishing community with attractions such as “The Tybee Island Lighthouse and Museum” as well as popular restaurants known as “The Crab Shack” and “The Breakfast Club”.

The Trip

Our flight was fairly early in the morning so my family and I stayed at a beautiful and luxurious hotel called Embassy Suites on the border between Olathe and Kansas City. On the day our flight was scheduled we left at 4:30 AM towards the airport. I was very surprised at how early we left because our flight didn’t take off until 8 AM! The flight was very long and I was in and out of consciousness with headaches and nausea.  We had a stiff landing at the Jacksonville Airport and had an exquisite lunch. This was a great change from the misery we had to go through. However, I didn’t realize that the car ride between Florida and Georgia was much, much worse.

Tybee Description

We rented a small two-story house on the local beach of Tybee filled with seagulls and empty horseshoe crab shells. The skies brought gorgeous sunsets and heavy rains. As you woke up, the pungent smell of sea inflamed your nostrils and reminded you that you weren’t in Kansas anymore. As you walked the beaches the heat of the sand seemed to burn your feet even if you moved faster than Usain Bolt. Schools of fish conjugated in a harmonious rhythm in clear, blue shallow waters. Fisherman castq their lines giving a whizzing sound as they flew through the air.

Tybee Highlights      

We took a steamboat to the historical site of Fort Sumter which was a valuable artillery garrison for the Confederates in The Civil War. The nearly indestructible 50 ft tall and 5ft wide structure took more than 30 years to construct. The infamous “Fort Sumter Battle” was a 34hr non-stop barrage between the Union and the Confederates. The courage of those brave artillery men created the inspired the creation of the Fort Sumter Flag which still is hanging over the island today. “The Crab Shack” is the most popular seafood and pork place in Tybee. The restaurant is on an inclined slope surrounded by a moat filled with baby alligators. When waiting in a long line you are able to feed the alligators. Fishing was a big part of my trip as well. There was a kind bait shop owner on a fishing pier who taught me how to fish in saltwater. He taught me so well that I was able to catch a stingray.

Conclusion

Tybee Island is a great place to unwind from stress. The family-friendly atmosphere invites people of all ages to engage in the activities available. Restaurants and hotels will fulfill your every need. The local recreation and concierge will help you with your stay at Tybee Island.