The History of Basketball

A basketball on cement.

Chase Harrington, Contributor

Did you know that only 1.2 percent of college basketball players get drafted to the NBA.I have been playing basketball since I was either 6 or 5 years old! The first time i played it I fell in love with it and i’ve been playing it ever since. IN my article we will be looking back at how it was started and what has changed over the years and how you can make a career out of it.

Basketball started in the month of December of 1891 at Springfield college. James Naismith was the one who invented basketball. The first ever basketball ball hoop was a peach basket. The very first basketball team was Springfield YMCA.

I love basketball because it’s fast paced and very competitive. Also because it is good exercise and keeps you in good shape. You also get to travel to cool places and stay at hotels and do fun things with your teammates. Also because you get to meet a lot of new people.

You could make basketball a career by practicing really hard every day and getting into a good high school. Then you could get a scholarship from a college for your talent and if you keep working hard you could get drafted to the NBA. In the NBA the average NBA salary is 7.7 million dollars.

In conclusion we found out James Naismith was the inventor of basketball. Also that you could make a good living by playing basketball.